Friday, December 28, 2012

94: Some thoughts

I've seen 94 shows this year. I have a goal to see 100. There are four days left in 2013. I have to see six shows to achieve my goal.

Am I going to do it?

I don't know. I really don't. It is possible. But that doesn't mean I am going to be able (mentally) to get my butt into the those seats. Didn't the longest hobbit in the world say something like "The most difficult adventure is stepping outside your door?" True, but for me is the hardest part is not just doing what I feel like in that moment. Fortunately, I have friends who are cheer-leading me in the goal achievement, right at the time I was trying to talk myself out of the goal.

Because this almost-accomplishment has also caused me to reflect on what is the nature of achieving goals. Is my awareness of how close I am to my goal enough? Does choosing to not complete it count as an act of accomplishment as well? As in knowing that I did not meet it validate the goal? Does it? Or was that just a pretentious sentence?

Am I afraid of success?

The goal is in my grasp. And this goal is completely made up, there is no award for the girl who saw 100 shows this year, hell, most people don't even know this is a goal of mine this year. The people I do tell about my quest, dig it, and get excited about it. I think that is fun, some folks (OK, one.) has been inspired to do his own show goal setting.

It will take deliberate work and planning to see these last six shows. Especially, when all I want to do is float around and hang out and not commit my time away.

Also the The West Wing is streaming on Netflix. So there's that.


No comments: