Monday, July 13, 2009

Reunion

Cover girl pressed powder compact in ivory=one way ticket back to high school.

Who needs a high school Reunion when I have make-up? This weekend was my ten-year high school Reunion. I had originally planned to go but with having just been to my hometown for a wedding and see all my friends there and then having stuff to do here and though the cost of $25 to gawk at who got fat is a super deal, I didn't go. And none of my friends could go due to honeymoons and new jobs, way cooler excuses than my unwillingness to drive ten hours in two days to eat BBQ and repeatedly answering the "And what are you doing now" question and dodging herds of nine-year-olds with plates of coleslaw. 

But CoverGirl, you are the Doc Brown of cosmetic chance.. Just one sniff. I wasn't expecting it when I purchased the brown-tortie compact during my amazing stint as a maid of honor three weeks ago. I saw it and bought it thinking: cheap, portable and familiar. I had always carried a CoverGirl pressed powder compact until my sophomore year of college, then I have no idea why I stopped. In high school, make-up was my rebellion. Natural, undetectable, enhancing without glamour make-up.  I was great at it. The foundation, concealer, powder and eye shadow, sometimes mascara but I was always striving for the perfect natural look. I am amazed now when I think about how much time I spent trying to look just like myself, but the payoff was I looked like a better version of my self. The pressed powder compact was my emergency, since I had lots of acne in my high school days I needed something to help me have confidence where ever I went and that is why the compact was in my backpack, it covered zits, soaked up oil and disguised a blushing, flush, embarrassed face after being assigned to work in an English group with my crush from elementary school who two weeks ago I discovered was married. I remember wearing concoctions of clothing involving a variety of striped shirts. Staring reverently at the cosmetic section of Wal-Mart, scanning the Sunday paper for make-up coupons. I remember sometime just following a group of students in the hall rather than attempting to fight way out of the clog of students attempting to squeeze through a hallway. Hiding in bathrooms, but pretending to be using the mirror, stall and sink and paper towel dispenser when I was too awkward to do anything else. 

CoverGirl: just like the reunion without paying for gas.

No comments: